Alternator and starter inspection
The starter and alternator are one of the most important parts of modern cars
If one of them fails the car simply cannot be started. Since the starter directly starts the engine, and if the alternator breaks down, the battery will not be recharged. When it is completely discharged power will not be supplied to all vehicle systems.
The car starter is a high power electric motor designed for a very short running time. Starter repair begins with diagnostics which can be completed in a matter of minutes. The Starlight Automotive mechanic will then let the customer know which parts need to be replaced and which will last for some time.
It is necessary to regularly check the alternator and starter so that the car does not fail at the most inconvenient moment.
Signs your starter is malfunctioning
You should check your starter immediately if :
- When trying to start the engine the starter does not respond.
- The starter clicks but it does not engage the gear.
- The starter rotates but does not start the car.
Reasons your starter is malfunctioning
- faulty electrical connections,
- malfunction of the traction relay,
- electrical malfunction of the electric motor,
- damage to the starting mechanism, starter gear or freewheel.
Before carrying out repairs it is imperative to inspect the car's alternator. It includes a detailed external inspection of the unit itself and its parts for mechanical damage as well as an electrical check of its components using special equipment.
Most common issues
- The noise during ignition is a consequence of wear or damage to the armature bearings. The alternator is completely disassembled and it is worth checking the mounting holes, which can also wear out.
- Lack of charging current, problems with the alternator belt or brushes. In the event of a breakdown of one and / or another - replace it. Broken circuit or short circuit between the turns of the stator winding.
- Damage to the rectifier unit due to a malfunction of the diodes is checked by a tester. The failed unit must be replaced.
- Voltage regulator failure. The optimal voltage is 13-14 V. Replace the regulator if you see a different value.
Starlight Automotive will carry out professional diagnostics of alternators and starters as well as repair and replacement. Highly qualified experts will be happy to help and provide a warranty for the replaced part..
There is no comments for service "Alternator and starter inspection", yet. Leave a first review.